Reservations: Mental Depression
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian
Wellpinit High School
The book starts off with Arnold attending the Wellpinit School District in Washington State. One of Arnold's teachers approaches him and says his school cannot serve him, that everyone around him has given up, and the teachers are all defeated. Your first task is to research the Wellpinit School District to find out how true-to-life this is. Here are some questions to consider:
1. How do their test scores compare against other schools in the state, or other Indian Reservations?
2. Do they do well in sports or extracurricular activities?
3. What sort of technology and resources do they offer?
4. What kind of qualifications and education levels to their teacher have?
5. What's the high school graduation rate? Is this above average, average, below average?
6. What is the typical education level of the tribe? (High school? Bachelor's? Master's?)
Native American Social Issues